BGCI Education Blog

We've set up this blog to talk about education, the environment, plants, the universe... oh yes, and botanic gardens. You can join in by leaving comments and signing up for email updates.

Wednesday 10 January 2007

Running and the environment

One of my New Years resolutions was to take up running again after doing some sort of damage to my knee. I duly decided to purchase some new trainers, a knee support and some dietary supplements for joints. So, off I went, to the shops to locate these products. Obviously, working for BGCI, I am concerned about the environment and try to minimise my ecological footprint as much as possible. There is still much for me to do on this - but I am being inspired by some friends who have started a 100-mile diet http://picklemyfancy.blogspot.com.

Anyway, dietary supplement for joint. In browsing the shelves of the local chemists I noticed that many contained fish oils - i.e. cod liver oil. I gave up eating cod a few years ago (I can't help but feel that environmentally speaking, it is akin to eating rhino or panda), and so see no reason why I should support the cod industry through a different supply route. Thus supplements are out of the window.

The new trainers situation of course is always potentially inflammatory - human rights abuses, carbon emissions of imports, economic crises brought on by purchase price and so on. I was relieved to discover New Balance trainers - made in England, and proud of it. Winners of the 2004 Queen's award for enterprise, they have been making trainers in the UK for 22 years. So far I have run about 30 miles in them, and they are jolly comfy - in fact I'm wearing them now. Plus they are a bit pink and shiny - always a bonus.

So, my conclusion is, so far, it is possible to add running to one of my low environmental impact activities - I run as part of my daily commute (by public transport for the rest of the way). In fact, knowing I need to go for a run definitely decreases the likelihood that (at 7.00 on a dark, cold, winter morning, while still under my duvet) I decide use my car to get to work instead - it's better all round.

No comments: